This TREMEC TKX transmission package is designed for the 79-81 Ford Mustang Foxbody’s equipped with a SBF engine and manual transmission combination making 650hp or less. Included in this kit is everything to correctly swap out your Borg Warner / Tremec T5 manual transmission to a new Tremec TKX 5-Speed transmission.
- NOTE: Factory automatic 79-93 Mustang’s, an underdash MalWood hydraulic clutch pedal assembly kit – HMS-MUS-79-93-AUTO is available to make this package 100% compatible.
This complete manual transmission package features the proven Tremec TKX 5-speed transmission, which can- handle up to 600 lb-ft. of torque. Widely known as the most popular and versatile 5-speed transmission in the industry, the TKX features multiple shifter locations and both manual and electronic speedometer pick ups. The 3-rail internal shift mechanism provides a solid, stout shift every time.
- (1) TREMEC TKX 5-Speed Manual Transmission
- (1) Tremec TKO/TKO Aluminum Bellhousing – TCEP8639
- (1) RAM Clutches PowerGrip HD Clutch Kit – 98794HDT
- (1) RAM Clutch Pilot Bearing
- (1) Ford Performance Pressure Plate Bolt & Dowell Kit 10.5″
- (1) Stifflers Crossmember Kit
- (1) Energy Suspension Polyurethane Transmission Mount
- (1) Stifflers Crossmember Install Kit
- (1) Inland Empire Driveline 1330-Joint 31-Spline Driveshaft Yoke
- (1) Bell to Bellhousing Bolt Kit
TREMEC TKX 5-Speed Manual Transmission
For the development of the new transmission, TREMEC engineers took a forward-looking approach to finding the best and most efficient solution. This included universal packaging, excellent shifting performance, and extreme durability.
The end result is superior shift-ability with smooth shifts at high RPMs through the use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings. At the same time, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance is optimized with a gear layout to best control stress levels, while providing structural stiffness with a ribbed, 3-piece aluminum housing. Durability is further optimized with oversized gear widths, gaskets at all flanges and caged needle bearings in all gear positions.
Whether restoring or upgrading a classic muscle car or a 1930s-era roadster coupe, the new TREMEC TKX 5-speed RWD manual transmission delivers a top-quality drivetrain solution.
- The TKX has 600 lb.-ft. of torque capacity and is capable of engines speeds of 8,000 RPMs with shifts at 7,500 RPMs.
- Designed for multiple applications with three shifter locations. Compact, end-loaded design provides clearance in most transmission tunnels without floor modifications.
- Increased case strength with three-piece aluminum housing provides outstanding structural stiffness (includes main case, intermediate plate and rear extension). Gaskets at all flanges simplifies installation and eliminates fluid leaks.
- Superior shift-ability through use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings made of sintered bronze and carbon
- Noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) minimized with gear layout to best control stress levels. All gears supported by caged needle bearings to reduce end play on the gears.
- All gears and shafts made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615) providing increased torque carrying capacity.
- Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean, crisp shifts.
- Robust design with internal three-rail shift system and steel shift forks.
- Wide gear width increases gear life and torque capacity.
- 26-spline input shaft with a 31-spline output shaft for added strength.
- Built-in reverse light switch and cruise control safety switch.
- Gear Ratios
RAM Clutches PowerGrip HD Clutch Kit – 98794HDT:
- Rated up to 650 horsepower
- 10.5 x 1-1/16″ x 26 spline
- Includes Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, and Alignment Tool
- 8 Spring Helix Hub
- 900 Series Metallic Disk
- Ideal For Street / Strip
Tremec TKO / TKX Aluminum Bellhousing:
- Fits 1979-1993 5.0L or 5.8L with 3550, TKO 500/600, TKX Transmissions
- Cast Aluminum Construction
- Fits 157T Flywheels Only
- Includes Pivot Stud
- Does Not Include Engine Block Plate
Stiffler’s Crossmember Kit:
- Fits 79-81 Ford Mustangs With T5, TKO 3550, TKO 500/600 & TKX
- Strong, Compact & Lightweight Design
- Allows More Exhaust Clearance Than OEM Style
- Direct Fit To OEM Crossmember Mounts, NO FABRICATION REQUIRED!
- Works With SETBACK Engines
- Powder Coated For Endurance
- Stiffler’s Crossmember Install Kit
- Ram Clutches Pilot Bearing
- Ford Performance 10.5″ Pressure Plate & Dowell Kit
- Energy Suspension Polyurethane Transmission Mount
- Inland Empire Driveline 1330 Joint 31-Spline Driveshaft Yoke
- Transmission to Bellhousing Bolt Kit